Personal Values and Self Leadership
Mastering personal/self-leadership is foundational to the development of engineering leaders. This workshop will be largely individual and self-reflective by nature, supported with group discussions. This workshop is lead by a facilitator who will guide participants through thought experiments and exercises.
- Understand the progression of leadership and where personal/self-leadership falls in the framework
- Learn new tools and activities such as identifying values and building a personal leadership philosophy
- Mobilize self-reflection more effecWe invite all GEL participants to join us for our final wrap up workshop on March 31st at 5:30 – 6:30 pm. We will be going over what is required of you for the final certificate. Additionally, we will be joined by the Director of the School of Engineering and Guelph Engineering Alumni, eager to meet Guelph’s brightest leaders (that’s you!). Come celebrate and hear our final thoughts on leadership and what’s next!tively
Becoming A Productive Leader
Acquiring healthy time management skills and habits will allow you to take advantage of your learning opportunities, lower stress and will ultimately help you become an effective leader. This workshop is largely individual, supported with group discussions and reflections. This workshop is lead by a facilitator who will guide participants through thought experiments and exercises.
- Learn new tools to effectively enhance your time management skills
- Learn how to effectively build sustainable habits
Professional Development Conference (PDC) Guelph
The Guelph Engineering Leadership Program is proud to be partnering with The Professional Development Conference. This conference will qualify as Workshop 3 and attending this conference will count towards receiving the Certificate of Accomplishment. This conference is hosted by the Professional Development Conference Committee.
What is Engineering Leadership?
Developing strong ideas about leadership in engineering is the key to creating strategical and innovating engineers who have a strong understanding of the issues confronting the 21st century engineer. The workshop is group based, thought provoking and designed to enhance personal leadership styles. Understanding and analyzing professional leadership traits will lead to greater confidence in individual’s engineering identity.
- The importance of developing and analysing personal leadership
- Defining Engineering Leadership
- Issues confronting the 21st century engineer
- Improving our Engineering Leadership Capabilities
Technological Stewardship and The UN Sustainability Goals
This workshop focuses on developing strong ideas about technological stewardship as outlined by the Engineering Change Lab. We will also analyze the relationship between technology and society to derive thought provoking questions of the impact of technology on society. This workshop will introduce the UN Sustainability goals and why an engineering mindset and skills are needed to achieve these goals
- Analyse an engineer’s role in the relationship between society and technology
- Demonstrate an understanding of technological stewardship and its principles
- Gain an understanding of an engineer’s role within the UN development sustainability goals
Developing Your Personal Brand
What do you want people to say about you after you leave the room? What do you say about yourself beyond your major and year of study? In this interactive workshop, we will talk about how to develop your brand and talk about yourself confidently in a digital world. It’s not about delivering a speech but rather weaving your value, strengths and future goals into a real conversation.
- Understand how personal branding and an elevator pitch can become part of your job search tool kit
- Learn how to communicate your value in an authentic way in a virtual world
- Build a unique and engaging pitch to use in conversation with industry contacts at networking events and job interviews
GEL Conclusion Workshop
We invite all GEL participants to join us for our final wrap up workshop on March 31st at 5:30 – 6:30 pm. We will be going over what is required of you for the final certificate. Additionally, we will be joined by the Director of the School of Engineering and Guelph Engineering Alumni, eager to meet Guelph’s brightest leaders (that’s you!). Come celebrate and hear our final thoughts on leadership and what’s next!